The parent of a ‘Class’ construct can be assigned in the ‘Class Diagram‘ via drag-and-drop. Both the “to-be” parent and child ‘Class’ constructs must be added to the diagram first, before the parent can be assigned.
- Within a ‘Class Diagram,’ select the ‘Class’ you would like to assign as the parent.
- Click the green circle and continue to hold down the left mouse button.
- Drag the green circle over to the child ‘Class’ of your choice.
- When the child ‘Class’ box highlights green, release the left mouse button over the ‘Composition’ section to add a decomposed by relationship.
- Once added to the diagram, the new relationship should appear as a filled diamond shape and directional arrow from the parent to the child ‘Class’ construct.
- Click the ‘Save’ button located on the toolbar to persist your changes to your project’s database.