A ‘Resource’ construct can be added to an ‘Action Diagram’ via drag-and-drop.
- Within an ‘Action Diagram,’ click the ‘Resource’ icon in the ‘New’ tab of the left sidebar and continue to hold down the left mouse button.
- Drag the ‘Resource’ icon over to the adjacent diagram canvas.
- Release the left mouse button while over the diagram canvas to drop the new ‘Resource’ and add it to the diagram.
Note the ‘Resource’ stays selected once it has been dropped in place. Since it is selected, the toolbar changes to include buttons for functions which can be used on the construct. The sidebar also changes to include additional ‘Metadata,’ ‘Attributes’ and ‘Relationships’ tabs.
- With the ‘Resource’ selected, green dots on the top, left, bottom, and right are shown. Click one of the green circles and continue to hold down the left mouse button.
- Drag the green circle to the destination ‘Action’ of your choice.
- When the destination ‘Action’ highlights purple, release the left mouse button to add the appropriate relationship. Releasing over the “Consumes” section will automatically add the consumed by/consumes relationship, while releasing over the “Seizes” section will automatically add the seized by/seizes relationship.
- Once added to the diagram with the proper relationship, enter a meaningful ‘Name’ for your new ‘Resource’ via the ‘Attributes’ tab of the left sidebar (focused automatically for convenience).
- Click the ‘Save’ button located on the toolbar to persist your changes to your project’s database.
* Note: The above process describes using the ‘New’ tab of the left sidebar, which automatically generates a new entity to represent each new diagram construct. If you would like to reuse existing entities from your database to represent a new construct, use the ‘Existing’ tab instead.
For more information on this construct and how it is represented in the database model, see Action Diagram Constructs.